Understanding Solid State Devices Made Easy
Relevant Course: Nil
Relevant Department: Electrical Engineering
Relevant Semester: Nil
Pre- requisite :Nil
Course Description and Outline:
Course Title: Understanding Solid State Devices Made Easy
At the end of the six hour session on Solid State Devices, you should be able to
- state why study solid state devices.
- sketch the current-voltage characteristics of a p-n junction, Bipolar Junction Transistor (BJT) and a Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor (MOSFET).
- describe the evolution of solid state devices, namely – diodes and transistors.
- state the steps involved in analysing a solid state device to obtain an equation for its current-voltage characteristics.
- state how mobile charges are generated and transported in semiconductors.
- explain the rectifying operation of a p-n junction and amplifying operation of a transistor - bipolar and MOS - without using equations or energy band diagrams.
- explain the features and utility of the energy band diagram of a semiconductor.
- write and explain the equations based on drift-diffusion carrier transport, that are employed to model a solid state device.
- state some standard approximations employed to simplify the solution of the above equations.
- state how to check and remember a device model equation, and what precautions should be taken while making calculations with it.
Schedule for Lecture Delivery
Session 1 : 1-Sep-2015 (10 to 12 pm)
Session 2 : 3-Sep-2015 (10 to 12 pm)
Session 3 : 4-Sep-2015 (2 to 4 pm)